Symposium Application FAQs
- When and where is the Symposium?
The Third AGS Graduate Research Symposium will be held on Friday, April 22, 2016 at the UCI Student Center.
- When is the application deadline?
The application deadline for the 2016 AGS Symposium is Friday, March 11, 2016.
- How can I help out with this event?
We sure could use some help, so please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to volunteer!
- Can masters and professional students apply?
Yes, you must be a current UC Irvine graduate or professional student in order to submit your research to the AGS Symposium.
- Does research have to be complete to be considered?
No, research can be in-progress or from a classroom project.
- Can I submit co-authored abstracts? Are my co-authors allowed to submit their own abstracts?
Yes, you may submit co-authored abstracts. There is a button to add lines in the application for additional authors. Anyone listed as a secondary author on one abstract is welcome to submit their own first-author abstract for presentation.
- What if I am a postdoctoral scholar at UC Irvine?
Individuals in postdoctoral status are not eligible to apply, but may serve as judges in the competition.
- What if I collect research data at the UC Irvine Medical Center, but go to a different school?
Students must be enrolled at UC Irvine to participate in the AGS Symposium.
- What should I do if I’m having trouble submitting my application?
Please contact email@example.com with any technical issues.
- How many applications will be accepted?
All applicants who submitted an abstract by the deadline will be invited to present on Symposium Day.
- Who judges selected participants?
Judges are made up of UC Irvine faculty, administrators, college deans, department chairs, postdoctoral scholars, and industry professionals.
- What are the criteria for judging?
We want to see talks that can be compelling to a general audience outside of your field. See for the judging rubric.
- Who can attend the symposium to oral talks?
The symposium is open to the public. Registration is not required, but HIGHLY recommended.
- How are students awarded their prizes?
Awarded students will receive their prizes approximately 8-12 weeks after the event in the form of checks, to be picked up at the office of Student Government.
- Will I be allowed to apply this year if I presented and/or won last year?
Students who won first prize in their sessions last year can apply but are not eligible for any prizes. Students who presented previous but did not win first prize are eligible to apply and compete for all prizes. However, the submission cannot be the same as any previous years’.
- What if I have more questions?
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your questions!